Enrolling in a course

Helpful tip when enrolling
You should also review your provider’s enrolment and withdrawal guidelines so you are aware of your rights, responsibilities and obligations if you enrol with them. These guidelines should be available either on the provider's website, or ask for a copy from the student administration/enrolments area of your provider.

Higher education course

If you want to enrol in a higher education course, you will most likely have to apply via a tertiary admissions centre (TAC). A TAC is a state-based central office that processes applications for admission to universities and other participating higher education providers. TACs streamline the application process by accepting a single application that contains your list of preferences. This means you don’t have to make multiple applications to separate universities and/or providers.


It’s important to note that enrolling in a course of study is not the same as applying for Commonwealth assistance (either a Commonwealth supported place or a HELP loan). If your enrolment is successful, the TAC or the relevant university/provider will contact you with an offer of a Commonwealth supported place or a fee paying place for your selected course of study. You will then need to apply to the university or provider directly for Commonwealth assistance.


You may have to apply directly to the university or provider if:

  • they are not represented by a TAC
  • your preferred course is not listed in the TAC course guide
  • you are already enrolled with them (and wish to enrol in another course)
  • you missed the TAC closing date
  • you are undertaking non-award study
  • you are undertaking an Australian National Internship
  • you are an international student.


VET course

If you are wanting to enrol in a vocational education and training (VET) course, you will need to apply directly to your intended VET provider. You will need to complete the correct application form and lodge it with the student administration or enrolments area of that VET provider according to the deadlines they set.