2017-18 Budget student factsheets
On 1 May 2017, the Australian Government announced its higher education reform package as part of the 2017-18 Budget. The reforms will protect Australia's higher education system by focussing on three key themes: Improving the sustainability of higher education, More choices for students, and Increased transparency and accountability.
Dedicated factsheets on the student measures of these themes are attached below:
Improving the sustainability of higher education
- Extending HELP loans to most New Zealand citizens and permanent residents
- Increasing the student share of higher education
- New repayment arrangements for HELP loans
More choices for students
- New arrangements for enabling courses
- Changes to the Higher Education Participation and Partnerships Program
- Scholarship system for postgraduate coursework places
- Regional study hubs
- New arrangements for sub-bachelor courses
- Expansion of support for 'work experience in industry' units
Increased transparency and accountability
- Performance contingent funding for universities
- Increased transparency for universities
For more information on these measures, you can also visit the Higher Education Reform - Student FAQs page.
To read the complete package of all the proposed measures, you can visit the Department of Education and Training Higher Education Reform Package webpage (opens in a new tab).