FAQs about HELP loans
Is the information you are looking for found in the following HELP loan questions?
- Q: Do I need to accept my enrolment offer before I apply for a HELP loan?
- Q: Which HELP loan am I eligible for?
- Q: I'm a permanent resident. Can I get a HELP loan?
- Q: Does my income/financial situation affect my eligibility?
For contact information on Student Income Support or Scholarships and Awards, please refer to the following links:
- Student Income Support (e.g. Youth Allowance, Fares Allowance).
- Scholarships and Awards (e.g. Commonwealth Scholarships program, Australia Awards).
If you would like to speak to someone directly about your query please call the number applicable to your enquiry:
For general information about Commonwealth supported places, HELP loans (including HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, SA-HELP, VET Student Loans, VET FEE-HELP and OS‑HELP) and Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN):
- call the Student enquiry line on 1800 020 108;
- for hearing, speech or TTY users phone 133 667 National Relay Service (NRS), then ask for 1800 020 108; or
- for speak and listen users phone 1300 555 727, then ask for 1800 020 108.
For information about HELP debtsm, including how compulsory repaymnets are calculated and how indexation works, contact the Australian Tax Office (ATO)
- Visit the ATO website (opens in a new window);
- Call the Personal tax enquiry line for information about HELP and personal tax topics on 13 28 61. Have your tax file number handy;
- For international callers - phone: +61 2 6216 1111
For contact information about Student Income Support benefits, contact the Department of Human Services (DHS):
- Visit Centrelink (opens in a new window);
- Call 13 24 90 – for information on Youth Allowance, Austudy and Pensioner Education Supplement;
- Call 13 23 17 for information on ABSTUDY;
- Call 13 12 02 for information in languages other than English;
- Text Telephone for the hearing impaired (TTY) 1800 810 586 for payment enquiries; or
- Call 1800 638 109 for ABSTUDY TTY payment enquiries.
Student HELP Loans enquiry form
If you would like to send an online enquiry form for queries relating to HELP loans (HECS-HELP, Commonwealth Supported Places etc) and general website comments, please select the Student HELP loan enquiry form link.
To protect your privacy, please DO NOT write your Tax File Number in the Student HELP Loans Enquiry Form under any circumstances.
If you have an enquiry about VET FEE-HELP or VET Student Loans please select from the following links:
VET FEE-HELP Students Opt-in 2017For information for continuing VET FEE-HELP students about opting in to VET FEE-HELP in 2017 please go to www.education.gov.au/vet-student-loans/vfh-opt-in (opens in a new window).
VET FEE-HELP StudentsIf you have a general question about VET FEE-HELP please submit your enquiry at www.education.gov.au/vet-student-loans-students (opens in a new window).
VET FEE-HELP Student Complaints (or debts)If you were contacted by the Department of Education and Training about opting in to VET FEE-HELP in 2017, but do not understand why or you have found out you have a VET FEE-HELP debt and do not know why, please submit your enquiry at www.education.gov.au/vet-student-loans-students (opens in a new window).
VET Student Loans StudentsIf you have questions about VET Student Loans or want information about accessing a VET Student Loan for study in 2017, please read the factsheets at VET Student Loans or contact your provider.
If after reading the factsheets you still have questions, please submit your enquiry at www.education.gov.au/vet-student-loans-students (opens in a new window).Return to top