FAQs about HELP loans
Is the information you are looking for found in the following HELP loan questions?
- Q: Do I need to accept my enrolment offer before I apply for a HELP loan?
- Q: Which HELP loan am I eligible for?
- Q: I'm a permanent resident/New Zealand citizen. Can I get a HELP loan?
- Q: Does my income/financial situation affect my eligibility?
For contact information on Student Income Support or Scholarships and Awards, please refer to the following links:
- Student Income Support (e.g. Youth Allowance, Fares Allowance).
- Scholarships and Awards (e.g. Commonwealth Scholarships program, Australia Awards).
If you would like to speak to someone directly about your query please call the following number applicable to your enquiry:
For general information about Commonwealth supported places, HELP loans (including HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, SA-HELP, VET FEE-HELP and OS‑HELP) and Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN):
- call 1800 020 108;
- for hearing, speech or TTY users phone 133 667 National Relay Service (NRS), then ask for 1800 020 108; or
- for speak and listen users phone 1300 555 727, then ask for 1800 020 108.
The Australian Tax Office (ATO)
The ATO can explain what happens once you have a HELP debt, including how compulsory repayments are calculated and how indexation works.
- Visit the ATO website (opens in a new window);
- Read the booklet, Repaying your HELP debt, which is available from the ATO website under ‘Find a form or publication’;
- Call the Personal tax enquiry line for information about HELP and personal tax topics on 13 28 61. Have your tax file number handy;
- For international callers - phone: +61 2 6216 1111; or
- Write to the ATO at:
Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 1032,
ALBURY NSW 2640
For contact information about Student Income Support benefits:
- Visit Centrelink (opens in a new window);
- Call 13 24 90 – for information on Youth Allowance, Austudy and Pensioner Education Supplement;
- Call 13 23 17 for information on ABSTUDY;
- Call 13 12 02 for information in languages other than English;
- Text Telephone for the hearing impaired (TTY) 1800 810 586 for payment enquiries; or
- Call 1800 638 109 for ABSTUDY TTY payment enquiries.
For contact information about Scholarships and Awards, please visit the Scholarships and Awards page for relevant website links to the specific scholarship or award.Return to top
Student HELP Loans enquiry form
Please note that this student enquiry form is for queries relating to Australian Government HELP loans (HECS-HELP, Commonwealth Supported Places etc) and general website comments only.
If you have an enquiry about HELP Loans or if you have a comment about this website please select the Student HELP loan enquiry form link.
To protect your privacy, please DO NOT write your Tax File Number in the Student Enquiry Form under any circumstances.Return to top