Grievances (student complaints)

As a domestic student, if you are not satisfied with the quality of service or training being provided, and you think your provider is breaching or has breached its legal requirements, your first course of action is to have your complaint investigated through your providers internal complaints and appeals processes. Please refer to your providers website for detailed information about lodging a complaint.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome after following your providers internal procedures, and still believe your provider is breaching or has breached its legal requirements, you may submit a complaint to the relevant regulator for your provider. For VET providers this could be the Australian Skills Quality Agency (ASQA), the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (opens in a new window), or the WA Training Accreditation Council (opens in a new window). Students studying with a higher education provider are able to contact the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) to register a complaint if the complaint is about quality issues. For more information on what types of complaints TEQSA can assist with and how to submit a complaint, please visit the TEQSA complaints page (opens in a new window). Please note that TEQSA does not respond to student complaints but notes them as part of its quality assurance and compliance process.

It is important that you can show the regulator that you have followed your RTO’s formal complaints procedure and the response that you received from them.

Students enrolled with a public training provider (i.e. University or TAFE) can lodge an external appeal with the State Ombudsman’s Office. Contact details for the State Ombudsman Offices are available from the websites below:


Students enrolled with an approved HELP provider can lodge a complaint with the Department of Education and Training if they think that the actions of their provider have led to them incurring a HELP debt unfairly. Students can lodge an enquiry by completing a Student HELP loan enquiry form.

Students at private providers can lodge complaints with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC). The ACCC will only have jurisdiction to investigate complaints that are in breach of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010. Visit the ACCC website (opens in a new window) for details on how to submit a complaint.