Enrolling in a course

Higher education course

A tertiary admissions centre (TAC) is a state based central office that processes applications for admission to university and other participating higher education providers. TACs streamline the application process by accepting a single application that contains your list of preferences. This means you don’t have to make multiple applications to separate universities and/or providers.


It’s important to note that enrolling in a course of study is not the same as applying for Commonwealth assistance (either a Commonwealth supported place or a HELP loan). If your enrolment is successful, the TAC or a university/provider will contact you with an offer of a Commonwealth supported place or a fee paying place within your selected course of study. You will then need to apply to the university or provider directly for Commonwealth assistance.


You may have to apply directly to the university or provider if:

  • they are not represented by a TAC
  • your preferred course is not listed in the TAC course guide
  • you are already enrolled with them (and wish to enrol in another course)
  • you missed the TAC closing date
  • you are undertaking non-award study
  • you are undertaking an Australian National Internship
  • you are an international student


Each TAC is formally known as the...

VET course

Students enrolling in a VET course need to apply directly to their provider. You will need to complete the correct application form and lodge it with the student administration office, faculty office or international office before the deadline set by the provider.


You will need to complete the relevant application enrolment forms and review your provider’s enrolment and withdrawal guidelines. These guidelines should be available either on the provider's website or from their student administration office.